fbpx

What’s Your Major Goal or Dream Career?

Are you a filmmaker? A Screenwriter? Or, are you still trying to figure it out?

If you are none of the above and just like following my projects then that’s cool too!

Either way, I created this post for us to have an open dialogue about our ambitions and steps we’re taking to get there.

Whatever you do though, spend some time trying to get a clear vision for what you’re passionate about. Just because you start off as one thing doesn’t mean you have to retire that way. Especially when it comes to writing or filmmaking.

When I first started out, I only wanted to be a screenwriter. As I learned more about what a screenwriter’s career was like and the limitations it had — I knew that wasn’t all I wanted to do. I learned through  watching others and studying the greats that, for me to truly execute my vision I’d need to direct and maybe even in some cases produce.

What about you though? What are your ambitions and tell me what you’re doing to get there?

Leave a comment below!

Jay

About Jay

Jay Carver is a screenwriter, director and producer. Through his production company J-Style Films, he has done work for companies such as Turner Broadcasting. In the past, he has worked with Hollywood actor Omari Hardwick and won several film festivals including "Best Director".

10 Comments

• Denny Holmes says:

Studying and working to be an actor.

• As I read Denny above, I also am an inspiring actor. I’ve performed in plays the majority of my life and I just started working in films in the past 3-4 years.
    I lived in GA for 15 years but I reside in SC now close enough that I may travel to GA (3 hours away) and NC and fly out from GA pursuant of acting.
    My website has nothing to do with my acting but I am also an ordained Gift of Jesus (Eph. 4:11)

• Blessing Amarachi Okoani says:

My name is Blessing Amarachi Okoani and I am from Nigeria, Enugu State precisely and also an Undergraduate student. I am an amateur Screenwriter, who has passion for writing, never attended any Screenwriting school. Most of the knowledge I got about Screenwriting was from the YouTube videos I watched and through coursera. But I am aspiring to become a great Screenwriter here in my country and probably have my script produced. But due to the Unforeseen circumstances about cost and the right connections it has not been easy for an Undergraduate student like me.

• Jay says:

That is awesome. Don’t give up. Everything seems impossible until you actually do it. Start off with writing something that can be done on a reasonable budget. Leave out as much VFX and don’t include a bunch of characters or scenes that require a ton of extras.

• georgina says:

i am an indigenous female director.. i have a project in development and looking for a comedy story editor to help me shape the story

• Susy Mendez says:

You can call me an amateur or a newbie here. I always saw writing as a hobby and nothing more. I never dreamed of making it a career because life got in the way. I joined the military and started a family. Now that my boys are all grown up, I find myself thinking what now? I’ve always been the creative type and always dreamed of working in Hollywood but never chased my dreams until now. I don’t know where to start or what this dream will lead me to. I just welcome the journey and the hopes to eventually reach my goal of telling a story that has been itching to come out. Here is to 2021!! May this be the year that all our dreams come true!

• Jay says:

Nice! The best way to get started is to just start writing the best way you know how. You can learn as you go. If you’re into screenwriting the best way to catch on is by reading other screenplays of movies you’ve seen. It helps a lot to see the written form of a story you’ve already seen. Paying attention to the types of words the use, the way they write action scenes, the dialogue…it all will help shape your learning.